Monday, February 21, 2011

I've got stripes

I have had a few people asking me about my striped curtains. First off I'm just excited that someone actually likes them because I made them =D I didn't take pictures of the process but hopefully this makes sense on how to make them!

I got my inspiration from this blog - her house is gorgeous

Nesting Place



There were no striped curtains anywhere to be found! So I took the plain brown Ikea panels that were already hanging in my living room, fusible web (the iron on, no sew stuff) and then the light tan material which was pretty thick almost like a drop cloth.

I measured, figured the number of stripes and cut them out about 3 or 4 inches wider than the width of the brown panel. To cut my lines straight I traced the edge of a yard stick with a pencil and just cut along those lines. The way I hemmed was I folded over and ironed down all the edges of each stripe, not using the webbing yet, just so the edges were nice and wouldn't fray.

Next I started ironing the fusible webbing on to the back side of each stripe. Then lay the large panel out flat and pin down the stripe making sure it is straight across and slowly stripe by stripe iron them all on. This takes awhile!

You can see in this picture how I finished the edges, I just folded over to the back side and ironed it down. I made these last summer and there has been no problems with them at all. But I am afraid of what might happen if I washed them because I don't know how that webbing stuff would hold up?
So that is how I did it! If you can find material with huge stripes...I'm jealous! But if not, hope this helps.

In other news today involved this

and ended with this. Tomorrow we knock out the other side to give us a nice open flowing room.

Kitchen/dining room connecting wall.

7 comments:

beeswax said...

Lacey,
Good "How-To" on the curtains.
I love your "wall smashing" outfit. You'll have to do a blog on that project.

Hayley said...

SO BEAUTIFUL! thanks for the how to!

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

Love this idea! I think i'll have to give it a try in my daughters room.

Thanks for sharing!

Yolanda @ Miss Refashionista said...

I want to make this so bad.....With painted Chevron stripes. :)

Decorchick! said...

Your curtains look so great, I just love them! I'll be featuring them tomorrow. :) xxoo

Ash said...

Great job on the striped curtains!

I read about so many people that can't find them anywhere! So decided to fix the whole problem and offer them in my online shop in an ARRAY of color choices!

If any of you ladies aren't the particularly crafty type like this lovely blogger is and are still in need of some fantastic horizontal drapes, visit our site at marthaandash.com

OR to be taken directly to the item visit:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/67911483/96-pick-your-colors-striped-drapery

We've made them up especially for you ;)

xoxo,
Ash

Shahida shimul said...

Wow! Great presentation of your themes. Good presentation. Thanks.Travel Beautiful bangladesh